St Alfege is the Anglican parish church in the centre of Greenwich. There has been a church here for over a thousand years, dedicated to the memory of Alfege, the Archbishop of Canterbury who was martyred on this site in year 1012. The present church (which replaced an earlier medieval building) is nearly 300 years old. It was designed by Nicholas Hawskmoor, Sir Christopher Wren’s famous pupil, and is one of the churches built under the Fifty Churches act of 1711. The interior contains many fine examples of 18th century craftsmanship and design.
In 2017 St Alfege Church was awarded a confirmed grant of just over £1.8m from the National Lottery Heritage Fund (NLHF) for its Heart of Greenwich, Place and People project, thanks to National Lottery players.
Vital repairs have now been completed bringing to light the splendid work of Nicholas Hawksmoor along with improved access to and facilities in the church as well as sharing our hidden spaces and heritage for everyone. The project highlights the architectural importance of the building and new interpretation displays will be installed (summer 2020) to reveal the stories of the many famous people such as Henry VIII, Thomas Tallis, James Wolfe and less well known families long associated with the church. There is also a programme of heritage focused activities as well as many concerts and recitals including free Thursday lunchtime recitals.
|No. of spaces||3|
*The main church sits up to 300 people and up to 80 in the galleries for concerts and recitals